Want the best guide to start a profitable blog online? Here you have found it. Am fully aware how complex you think it might be especially if you are not the techie type. Am so glad you are here! My goal is to walk you through the step by step process of creating your own money making blog from scratch with no technical experience required from you.
I got your back here and I mean it…
Over the years, I have created several WordPress-based blogs in several niches like Technology, Online News, eCommerce(online stores) both for myself and people who needed my service. I must say I have learned well and am ready to guide you through all the processes in simple steps including screenshots where expected.
I’ll be holding you by my shoulder giving you the step-by-step tutorial you need from scratch till the end. So right here, with my comprehensive blogging guide, it’ll be impossible for you not to create a blog for yourself even if you are an 80 years old granny 🙂
Why Start A Blog?
There are several reasons why people blog. Everyone has one or two reasons for starting a blog to mention but the common ones:
- To Make Money Online: This is the most common reason you see so many blogs online and this might also be your reason too. I could remember it so fresh how excited I was then, the very first time I got my first income online through a Tech Blog of mine some years back (tmaxitech.com – no longer active) promoting an affiliate offer on the blog. It’s pretty good living the laptop lifestyle working for yourself and making some decent or extra income off it.
- To Reach Out: If you would ask me, why I created this blog, my top reason was to motivate, reach out to people and teach helpful stuff that helps to make a living online and be super successful online. So if you are the type that has a story to tell or share, loves writing, you wanna motivate or teach some skills, having a blog is a great means to easily reach out to people from all angles of the world.
- Exposure: People or brand who are into a particular business looking to get more people or companies to know about their offers or products which leads to more sales.
- A Sense of Belonging: To some people, they want to be part of the blogging community, “I wanna be blogger type – you know” though got to be serious along the way or later quit, either one of the two is bound to happen.
These four reasons are the top ones why most people join the blogging business. By now, you should know the category you fall into. So let’s get started right away and let’s take it super simple and within 30 minutes or less, you should be a proud owner of your own blog – Yes!
8 Simple Steps To Start A Profitable Blog Online
There are the certain steps to take in creating yourself a money making blog. Don’t fret! just give me your 100% attention for these few minutes as I walk you through the steps:
- Focusing on a Topic of Interest.
- Choosing the Best Blogging Platform.
- Crafting Out the Best Domain Name.
- Picking the Best Hosting Platform.
- WordPress Installation.
- Blog Designing & Plugins.
- Content Creation.
- Making Money from Your Blog.
Are you ready?
STEP 1. Focusing On A Topic Of Interest
One of the greatest mistake most people make especially the aspiring/new bloggers out there is this – they simply don’t know what to really blog or talk about, no straight focus – that’s the truth!
All they care about is the money making aspect without thinking of the efforts that is required to produce a successful blog of their own. No long term vision at all, jumping from one idea or shinning topic to another which at the end make them loose concentration, usually get pissed off, frustrated and making not even a penny and quit in the process.
I don’t want your story to be like that buddy, so how do we go about this?
Am a type of person that believes so much in transparency. Some years back, I have created so many blogs in several popular niches while most failed simply because I was so much after the money with nearly zero passion, jumping from one niche to another. Do you think I’ll make money that way? No.
A single idea or interest is enough for you to make milllions online.
There is no point in being a jack of all trades with your blog or website. Just concentrate on an area of your interest and be consistent about it.
How Do You Decide What to Blog About?
This is a good question and without any further ado, my unbiased answer for you is to start your blog based on the following:
- Passion. This is what drives you even at the point you feel like quitting.
- Interest. Areas you have ‘strong’ connection with like cooking, football, music, a particular talent, feel free to add yours in the comment below…
- Things you love to do/talk about every day. We all have one special area we never get tired with easily. As for me technology and onine business related.
Can I Start A Profitable Blog Based On Passion/Interest?
100% YES! Do not be deceived anymore that you need to be in some kind of one special niche, area or interest to make money online. It took me several years to understand this simple truth and I dearly pay for it with my money, my time and even with my sleep.
Do I have to blame it on some fake teachings I got from so called blogging “gurus” out there or blame myself for it? Anyways, it was pretty nice I found a way out at the right time through some good mentors online and also a special thanks to Wealthy Affiliate System even with the little time I had with them. I got real value and top-notch info there too.
There is one thing I want you to know today…
As long as you have an unbiased interest in a particular topic or interest and you love to talk about it, always know this for sure that there are millions of people out there who also have the same interest like you too who are eager to relate, learn, and talk more on that same topic and are ready to buy whatsoever you recommend for them as long as they trust your recommendations.
Definitely your passion or interest can make you money through your blog as long as you are determined and ready to put in all the effort it requires…You mustn’t be the lazy ass type.
So, the ultimate goal of your blog should be focused on providing values, helpful and relevant contents that matters to your readers. And be ready to establish yourself as an Authority in your niche by becoming the go-to resources that help solve a problem in whatsoever aspect you focus on.
STEP 2. Choosing The Best Blogging Platform
There are several platforms which I’ll categorize into:
- The Free Platform – Like Wix, WordPress.com(the free one), Blogger, Weebly and so on. They help to host your blog online for free while they have the full(100%) control over your website.
- The Paid Platform – Like WordPress.org(also known as the Self-Hosted blog), Joomla, Drupal and others… Here, you are not limited to what you can use it for and you have no restrictions or whatsoever. Though I categorized them under the paid section here, you are not really paying to use them – It is free to use but you need a domain and a web hosting to make them work, these are the two things you are paying for with a Self-Hosted Blog.
So Which Blogging Platform Is The Best For Use?
The biggest mistake you can make on your way to start your profitabale blog is to choose the wrong platform – “the free platforms”, don’t even try it, it might be tempting for real, we all love free things right? but never fall for it.
Free things hurts, there is no true value in them at the long run, you can be wiped off the internet at anytime without any prior notice.
Using them means you agreed to be limited and later be frustrated to quit in the process. I was there before, so I know. Please don’t make this deadly mistake!
When choosing the best platform for your blogging activities, the best platform to use is WordPress.org. It is the best open source software you can use to create a beautiful website, blog, or app because it gives you the total freedom to build anything you want on it.
Over 73 million users uses WordPress.org and they can’t be wrong (Highly recommended)! This is by far the most content management system on the internet which gives you the full control over your website without any restrictions, easy to use with unlimited customization, beautiful designs, plugin installation and no coding required.
It is truly the best choice I must tell you if you want the best results…
I want to believe I have made justice to the best blogging platform to choose from, now let’s move ahead with the next step which is finding a good domain for your blog.
STEP 3. Crafting Out A Good Domain Name
A domain name is the website address you type into your browser, for example, internetcasharchive.com, facebook.com or google.com(the popular search engine). These are the perfect example of what a domain name really looks like.
And to get one, you need to register through a domain registrar usually cost around $14.99/year or more to buy (but don’t worry yourself much on this for now as am going to show you how to get a free domain name alongside your website hosting purchase).
There are numerous wonderful domain registrars out there which you can buy from like Godaddy.com, Namecheap.com, 1and1.com and many more but my favorite is Godaddy. I just love buying from them.
How to pick a good domain name?
You don’t have to sweat on it, just use these simple guide towards picking a rich domain name for your new blog or business:
- Mustn’t be too long (20 characters or less is the best).
- Must be easy to remember, pronounce and share.
- Pick the .com option if still available (most preferred in my own case).
- At the point when not so sure on the name to use for your blog, use your name (this is far better).
- Never be tempted to include hyphens or numbers before, between or after your domain name(they just don’t help).
- Just keep it simple…Okay.
Now, let’s move on to the next step which is…
STEP 4. Picking The Best Hosting Platform
Note: Under this step, am going to cover the step-by-step procedures to get your domain name and the best place to purchase your web hosting and please note that any purchase you make through our referral link will earn us a little commission at no extra cost to you.
Of all the hosting companies out there, I’ll be recommending Bluehost web hosting company for you simply not because of the commission we might get from them but because of the great value you’ll be getting when they host your blog for you.
Bluehost is a top leading fast professional website hosting services provider with good reputations over the years. Being one of the oldest and the largest brand when it comes to WordPress hosting helping millions online host their website or Blog.
With their 61.2% discount solution, you can host your website/blog for as low as $3.95/month or even less. In fact, Bluehost will help you save money by giving you a free domain at no extra cost as long as you are hosting your blog with them. No catch, no tricks, this is just one of those things that made them the best on the internet.
How I wish I had started with Bluehost when I first started my Blog, it would have saved me a lot. As at the time of writing this post, am working to fully migrate all my stuffs to Bluehost. Their site speed including including their customer’s support system is incomparable. This is why most Bloggers including the top ones out there uses them and also recommend them.
Their second to none web solutions services is truly the best. I’ll be totally transparent to you. If you want the best hosting program that won’t leave a hole in your pocket nor cause you debt – Go for Bluehost.
Now, let’s get started…
#1: Having your own website address on the internet.
The very first thing you need to do is to check for the availability of your preferred domain name(your own web address…remember those tips you learned at step #3 above).
Type in your domain in the search box below to check if such domain name is available.
Click on the green button “check availability”.
Once you’ve confirmed the availability for such domain registration.
Don’t register yet – just close the tab and move on to the next step #2
#2: Here, You’ll be purchasing the web hosting
Open up Bluehost in a new tab and follow the steps accordingly.
Click the green “get started now” button.
You’ll be taken to the next page where you are to select a plan of your choice (Basic, Plus, Prime).
Of all the three plans, I recommend you select the Basic or Plus option.
If you are just starting out as an individual, you might select the “Basic” plan.
If you are an aspiring brand/company, please select the “Plus” plan.
Don’t think too much on this anyway, you can upgrade with a single mouse click to any plan of your choice anytime as your business grows.
#3: Domain Registration
Enter your website address(the available domain in step #1) in the white box and click next.
If you’ve already purchased a domain which you would prefer to use from a domain registrar before, simply type it in the use the second box on the right side.
#4: Account Creation
After getting your free domain, the next thing is to create an account with them.
Fill in with your correct information accordingly and make sure your email is correct as you’ll need it for verification and payment purpose.
#5: Package Plan Selection
Here, you need to complete the package information to finalize the registration and move on to the payment stage. I recommend you go for the 36-month plan because it is going to save you money up to 61.2% discount.
There are several options attached to the 3 years plan but just leave them for now, you can add them later when they might be of use to you.
For security reasons, include the “domain privacy protection” option to hide your personal details such as name, phone no, address, etc from the public.
#6: Making Payment
There is nothing much here, this is what you are familiar with already 🙂
Simply enter your card details, agree to their terms and then click Submit.
Upon succesful payment, what next?
Now, login to check your email for a welcoming message and for your Cpanel login information from Bluehost (Please keep this info save or move them to your important folder as you might need them someday).
Now let’s go ahead with the step #5
STEP 5. WordPress Installation
You are not done yet, you need to install WordPress and to do this, you need to login into your Cpanel, this is where you manage everything through your website backend.
Using the link contained in your welcoming email to log in to your Cpanel Dashboard or alternatively login through the Bluehost website using your Cpanel login details sent to your email address.
Upon successful login attempt, scroll down until you see the section labeled “website” then click on the WordPress icon – Install WordPress (as seen in the image below).
On the next screen is the Bluehost Marketplace Quick Install. Click on the Get Started button.
#1: WordPress Installation Path
On this page, you are going to select the domain (which is your website address) where you want WordPress to be installed on. If your domain is not automatically showing up, click the drop down arrow to select your domain.
Also leave the directory empty. It is of no use for now if you are just starting out unless you have the intention of adding a subfolder to the main root folder of your website and this is the path where WordPress will be installed on. Click Next.
#2: Enter Your WordPress Information
Simply enter your:
- Website Name (e.g Internet Cash Archive),
- Username and Password(this is your WordPress login details)
And also remember to check all the 3 boxes before you click Install.
Upon successful installation of WordPress, you should see “Installation Complete” on the next screen and a take note of the information on the screen here which are the details needed to log in to your WordPress Admin Dashboard. This information will also be sent to you via email (please save them).
#3: To login to your WordPress dashboard
From the WordPress welcoming email, you receive this time around, there is a login URL link, click on it and you should be taken to the WordPress login page which looks like below screenshot.
This is where you make use of your WordPress username & password which you have created at #step 5 to log in to your WordPress admin dashboard where you can design your blog, write posts, add pictures, moderate comments, perform some settings to your own taste, etc…
An alternative way(a shortcut) you can use to login into your WP admin dashboard is to add /wp-admin at the back of your website URL
This will take you directly to the admin login section(a page like the screenshot above).
A WordPress Admin Dashboard looks like this:
STEP 6. Blog Designing & Plugins Installation
If you have followed the steps to tee, by now you should be a proud owner of your blog. To create a blog online shouldn’t be a night mare any longer to you especially with WordPress.
Now, It is time to design your blog
With WordPress everything is easy, you don’t have to be that Guru to get this done. With a good theme and some nice plugins, you can give your website the best professsional look.
By default, a pre-made theme comes with your WordPress installation but I’ll advise you not to use it simply because it is not the best, it looks crappy.
Instead of using the pre-made theme, it is better to choose from thousands of nice free themes available in the WordPress theme directory.
#1: Now, let’s find a theme to install
- First login to your WordPress Dashboard.
- Go to Appearance » Themes » Add New
From thousands of themes available there, select the one you want to install on your blog.
Preview them first to see how it is going to look like on your blog and you can as well sort themes out based on recent and popularity which might help pick a better choice.
Once you have installed your preferred theme, you can customize it by clicking on Customize under the Appearance section of your dashboard.
If you want more professional look for your blog, then I suggest going for high-quality premium themes (SEO Optimized, Elegant and Mobile friendly themes) that can take your site to the next level. You can buy premium WordPress themes from MyThemeShop.com. They are so amazing.
#2: Essential Plugins to Install on your WordPress Site
Plugins are essential tools needed to expand the functionality and smooth running of your WordPress site.
I will be recommending some essential ones to start with below.
- Yoast SEO: It helps create better SEO contents to improve your ranking on search results.
- W3 Total Cache: It’s a top and the best caching plugin mostly used which makes it possible for you to integrate CDN services to make your page load faster by 70% which giving your website a better chance to rank faster on search engines.
- Akismet: WP anti-spam security plugin which blocks and filters out all spammy comments made on your posts. It is truly a life saver.
- Social Media Warfare: Top WordPress plugins for social media sharing. It makes your content to be easily shared by readers which increases your blog exposures.
- Jetpack: It contains an SEO tools, security and backup services which provides an in-depth stats on how much traffic your post/article is getting, where such traffic is coming from, what keyword is getting more traffic and also driving traffic to your blog.
Don’t be limited to these few plugins. Make sure to find out some awesome plugins which are needed for your blog or business online. Google is your friend buddy.
STEP 7. Content Creation
All these pages are very essential, these are the blog sections visitors check to know more about you, what your website is all about including the services you render through your blog.
Don’t freak out on this, there are free resources online that can help you with that, just take it so simple and write it in your own way but make sure the main idea is gotten. You can also update them as time goes by….Okay!
How To Create A Page For Your Blog
From your dashboard:
- Go to Pages » Add new.
- Write your Page title and its content.
- When done, hit the Publish button to make it go live.
After you have created those pages, you need to add them to the Menu section of your website so that visitors can easily navigate and read about them.
To add your blog pages to the Menu section of your Site
- Go to Appearance » Menus
Writing Your First Blog Post
From a wonderful quote by Lao Tzu – “the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”.
This great quote also applies to you here. The process of you creating a profitable blog online that will fetch you money online on a long term basis begins with your first blog post.
To create a blog post is almost the same as creating blog pages which I have explained above though I’ll still repeat it again.
From your dashboard
- Go to Post » Add new.
- Write your Post title and blog content.
- Review and proof read your content.
- When done, hit the Publish button to make it live.
Let this guide you when writing a blog post
You don’t have to make it hard on yourself at all so that you won’t be totally frustrated like a loser during the process. Honestly blogging is sweet like a candy when you are writing about the things you have passion and interest for – Ask me and I will tell you.
Please stick to these tips below – it will help you write well and not get frustrated
- Always be yourself when writing (this is your selling point).
- You don’t have to be PRO writer to write a great content(write in your own words but let the message be passed across in the best possible way).
- At a point you get tired, just take a break or sleep over it(the strength will come back – it actually works).
- Your ultimate goal with your blog is to provide helpful contents which provides real value and help solve problems in one way or the other (let this be your watch word).
- You need to stay focused on your blog topic/interest (don’t be biased, the money is coming).
Now, let’s move on to the last step #8, making your blog a profitable one that keeps making you money on a long term basis.
STEP 8. Making Money From Your Blog
I know you’ll love this aspect 🙂 How to make money on your blog?
This is one of the top questions mostly asked on the internet today and I will be glad to answer you in the best possible way I can.
Now, pay close attention…
There are several ways to make money from a blog but to be honest with you, blogging really takes a while (can take up to 3-12 months at times depending on your effort) before it keeps fetching you a decent income online. This is the reason why I keep hammering on the word “Create your blog around your passion and interest”.
Don’t fall for people or schemes that promise to make you millions overnight with a single click of a button. They are totally scam- they are purely fake. You’ll have to work for every penny online at least when you are just starting out, what a bitter truth right?
Nevertheless, there is a smart and fast way to make money from your new blog which I learned and this is sure to make you decent income from your blog in no time and am going to show you how to go about it.
It should be of help to you especially if you are just starting a blog of your own online and want to make money off it in no time. You don’t really have to wait till thy kingdom come before you earn through your blog…
Check it out…
It works by finding a product related to what your blog talks about and review such product on your blog as an affiliate. Even if you are just starting out yesterday, this method works (product can be in form of eBook, Software, Training, Membership, Programs, etc…)
For instance, if your blog focuses on Dog Breeding/training, simply find a product or training which resonates with your blog audience and review it on your blog. The same process goes with people in the Technology, Make Money, Lifestyle, Cooking, weight loss. Any Niche.
How to get a product to review:
Option 1: Go to Google and search using this term exactly but replace the word “Keyword” with a word that describes your niche.
- Keyword: “product review”
- Keyword: “company review”
- Keyword: “training review”
To make more money $$$ while reviewing Products:
- Pick a product that you are more likely to use yourself.
- For best result, buy the product from the Vendor yourself (Readers trust your recommendation better).
- Always review the product before launch period (3-4 weeks before product launch will make your post rank on search engines and buyers get to know your blog and they might eventually buy through your link)
- Or you can create a blog around product reviews only.
The Common Ways of Making Money Through Blog
1. Advertisement – This is so common, probably you would have seen those sidebar adverts on blogs you visit, even they are on my blog too. You make money by placing banner ads on your blog from ad networks, like Google AdSense, Media.net when there is a click and from affiliate networks when there is a sale or lead.
2. Selling Digital Products – Selling your own products is another great way your blog can be used as a medium to reach out and let people know about your products or services which might lead to sales.
3. Sponsored/Paid Posts – Someone pays you to get their content published on your blog.
4. Affiliate Marketing – Getting paid while promoting other people’s product or service. As long as a sale is made through your link, you get paid certain commission from 10-100% depending on what you are promoting and the company.
Want to Earn BIG from Your Blog Every Month?
Then I recommend you read about the 25+ Highest Paying Affiliate Programs on the internet which you can easily sign up with and earn 5-figure income through them every month.
Now Let Me Congratulate You!
If you have actually read the post up to this very line, let me congratulate you once again. It shows you are the serious type who truly wanted to start living the Laptop Lifestyle working from home and making a living online.
Remember that there is no shortcut to success. As long as you are ready to learn, willing to put what you have learned into practice, put in the hard work and effort required, creating pure value and content that matters through your blog and ready to invest in yourself and your blog, you’ll make it.
Also make Google and YouTube your best friend. These two are the top free resources I have seen where you can learn almost anything. Use them wisely.
So by now, you are expected to have created and hosted your blog, nothing should stop you from doing so. Having a blog is the best way to create yourself an online presence and reaching out to the world. It is just like having your own house being the Landlord and controlling all the activities within and outside it reach.
I hoped this article has helped you on the journey to start a profitable blog of yours online? You may also want to read about how to build a 6-figure eCommerce business online [From Scratch].
Are you stalked somewhere or needs help on your new blog, may be you want me to touch some aspects? Please use the comment section below to ask your questions. I’ll love to answer them all as soon as I can.